Upcoming Events & Volunteer Opportunities
Saturday, February 1
South Philadelphia Legal Clinic hosted by Christian Legal Clinics of Philadelphia and the Aquinas Center
9:00 am – 12:00 pm @ Aquinas Center, 1700 Fernon St. (Point Breeze)
Wednesday, February 5
Hawthorne Cultural Center Advisory Council Meeting
5:30 – 6:30 pm @ Hawthorne Cultural Center, 1200 Carpenter St. (Hawthorne)
Monday, February 24
Girls and Women in Sports Day in partnership with Temple University Varsity Female Athletes
Girls 8th grade and under are invited to join Temple University Varsity Female Athletes for this free, fun, girls-only event. Come dressed in gym clothes and sneakers. Registration is required; register here.
3:30 pm – 6:00 pm @ Temple University Pearson-McGonigle Halls, 1800 N Broad St. (Strawberry Mansion)
Tuesday, February 25
Senior Breakfast and Health Forum hosted by Aria Health
Community seniors are invited to this monthly discussion with Aria Health, providing information and tips on health issues. Breakfast will be provided free of charge.
8:00 – 10:00 am @ Aria Health, 2nd floor cafeteria, 4900 Frankford Ave. (Frankford)
Tuesday, February 11
Eastwick Kickoff Meeting
6:30 – 8:30 pm @ St. Paul AME, 8398 Lindbergh Rd. (Eastwick)
Thursday, February 20
Brewerytown Kickoff Meeting
6:30 – 8:30 pm @ Camelot Academy, 1436 N 26th St.
Dates, times, and locations are subject to change. Visit http://www.myphillyrising.com for the most up-to-date information.
Highlights from January
Have you used the new MyPhillyRising app yet? MyPhillyRising is your online and mobile portal to everything going on in your neighborhood. Use it to find resources, connect with neighbors, and learn about events occurring throughout the city. Visit YouTube for a tutorial.
Martin Luther King Junior Day of Service
Every year on Martin Luther King Day, tens of thousands of Philadelphians come out and volunteer to make it a day on, not a day off. This January, PhillyRising organized and participated in more than ten community service projects for MLK Day. Follow the links below to see pictures from the events.
- A King’s Celebration: A Day of Celebration, Observance, and Service at MLK Recreation Center in Swampoodle with Playing for Peace
- Community Cleanup at Hedge Street Park in Frankford with Frankford CDC, Frankford Parks Group, Ray of Hope, Philadelphia Parks and Recreation, Frankford HS Basketball Team, the Office of Councilwoman Sanchez, EPIC Stakeholders NE, Frankford NAC, and the Frankford Junior Gardening Group
- Cleanup at Wilmot Street Park in Frankford
- Packaging Donations at St. Barnabas Mission in Haddington
- Community Cleanup at Hawthorne Cultural Center in Hawthorne
- Cleanup at Hissey Park in Kensington with the Friends Group of Hissey Park and Iglesia del Barrio
Packaging Grocery Donations at Myers Recreation Center in Kingsessing with Boys Track Mentoring Program, DHS, and AFL-CIO
- Block Cleanup at Myers Recreation Center in Kingsessing with Reform Philadelphia and Boys Track Mentoring Program
- Painting at the Village of Arts and Humanities in Penrose
- Community Cleanup at Ralph Brooks Tot Lot in Point Breeze
- Crafts-Based Community Service at Furness High School in Southeast with BuildOn and Furness HS students
- Block Cleanup in Strawberry Mansion with Faith Temple Church and the Strawberry Mansion Faith Leadership Coalition
- Cleanup at McPherson Square Library in St. Hugh’s with the Friends Group of McPherson Square Park
Neighborhood Liaison Training at Frankford Library
On Saturday, January 18, PhillyRising partnered with Philly311 to host a Neighborhood Liaison Training at the Frankford Library. Residents learned how to use the Philly311 system to enter and track service requests like graffiti removal, trash collection, and vacant lot cleanups.
PowerCorps PHL Career Boot Camp
On Saturday, January 25, PhillyRising brought together the two branches of AmeriCorps from the Mayor’s Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteer Service for a Career Boot Camp at Temple University. Power Corps PHL and SERVEPhiladelphia VISTAs participated in this intensive job readiness program to enhance resume-writing, interviewing, and job-seeking skills.
For more information, contact Jacki Boone at Jaclyn.Boone@phila.gov or visit us online at Facebook or Twitter.